Wow! A great response to the lentil soup this week!
Both #BeniciaFarmersMarket & #NapaFarmersMarket love it! I will be doing this soup again soon :) - Below is a recipe of the soup.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves smashed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 lbs of tomatoes diced
- 1 cup brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tlbs of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 lemons as toppings
- Warm the olive oil pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is shimmering, add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, curry powder and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often, in order to enhance their flavor.
- Pour in the lentils, broth and the water. Add 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil, then partially cover the pot and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender. Protect your hand from steam with a tea towel placed over the lid and purée the soup until smooth. Pour the puréed soup back into the pot and add the chopped greens. Add Apple Cider & cook for 5 more minutes, or until the greens have softened to your liking.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the juice of half of a lemon. Taste and season with more salt, pepper and/or lemon juice until the flavors really sing. Serve immediately.
Leave a comment